[PD-dev] pd-extended exectuable - packaging for Debian

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 13 02:55:17 CEST 2013

Quoting Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me>:
> Thanks. I'm studying the puredata rules file.
> But, not sure yet if I need to use any of that. Well, maybe from where
> to find the changelog, and such.

whatever pleases you.

> As is now, I can change the name of the executable with the configure
> option --program-suffix.
> The files always end up in /usr/lib/pd-extended no matter what. Should
> the config option also change that?

where do you want the lib-stuff to go?
/usr/lib/pd-extended seems like the right place to me.

> However, there seems to be a bug. It changes three files, not only the
> executable.
> I solve it by using a postinst script to rename the two files that
> shouldn't.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/bugs/1105/

else i'm not sure whether i understand your problem.

in any case, i can only reiterate, that  the "puredata" package
already handles the renaming properly. the package build process has
proven to work for years. i'm pretty sure that you could just take it
and do a 's/pure-data/pd-extended/g' on the rules-file.

i figure that the "pd-extended" package will only contain the patched
version of Pd (that is: all the externals will be separate packages
that are pulled in via dependencies). so the packaging should be
virtually the same as for "puredata".

gfmasdr
IOhannes

PS: i would highly suggest, recommend or even depend to use
"Recommends" for declaring dependencies on externals whenever
possible. according to the Debian policy [1], "Recommends [...]
declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency". in practice this
means that any package-manager (in their default settings) will
install the recommended packages, but if the user decides to uninstall
one of them, they will not end up with having to decide either to
remove Pd-extended completely or end up with a broken system.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html