[PD-dev] Compiling pd on OS X

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 05:21:12 CET 2014

On 03/09/2014 11:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello, I’m a manager of the MacPorts package management system, trying to add pd to our collection of software.
>
> I’ve tried to do this several times over the past few years, never leading to success. Now I’m finally asking for help.
>

> First, it’s unclear where to get pd. I had previously recorded the project’s homepage as:
>
> http://pd.iem.at/

It depends on which "flavour" you want to download.

Pd Vanilla is just the bare-bones Pd with very few external libraries.
It's available from Miller's website:
http://msp.ucsd.edu/software.html

The source is there, too.  I believe he has a Makefile in the src folder
specifically for Macn named "makefile.mac", so you should be able to do
"make -f makefile.mac" and compile it.

For Pd Extended, the only thing I can find is this:
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/darwin/MacOSXFink

But I've never built extended on a Mac.  Maybe there's someone else here
who has who can guide you through that specific portaudio issue.

Finally there's Pd-l2ork (which has all kinds of obvious improvements
like infinite undo, a built-in search engine, etc.) but it needs an
updated Tkpath library to use the newer graphics framework in OSX.  Dan
Wilcox is working on that, but atm building it on OSX is too difficult.

-Jonathan