[PD-dev] libpd partly working with pd instances

Peter Brinkmann peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 05:42:07 CEST 2014

Hi everybody,
Sorry to chime in so late in the conversation...

Here's my take on the discussion so far:

1. I'm thrilled to see that multiple instances are happening. Thanks,
Miller!

2. If at all possible, we should go all the way and have fully independent
instances. Anything else will likely come back to bite us, by requiring
additional documentation and other support, confusing developers (and
therefore giving rise to bugs), underutilizing multicore systems, excluding
use cases that we haven't thought of yet, etc. (And I already have a few
use cases where concurrent instances would have been handy.)

3. As I understand the current state, there are two problems that we need
to solve to achieve independent instances. One is a revision of the API to
introduce an additional instance parameter. That might be unpleasant to
implement but seems feasible. (I always expected that we'd need a
completely revised libpd 2.0 when multiple instances become available.) The
other one is the shared symbol table.

4. Miller, you said in your original post that you ran into seemingly
insoluble problems when trying to create per-instance symbol tables. Would
you mind elaborating on this point?

5. Even if we're stuck with a single global symbol table, we may be able to
make it thread-safe without having to resort to locks.

Cheers,
     Peter