[PD-dev] Should message objects be able to pre-parse $0 into valid dollarzero?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Sep 9 22:19:10 CEST 2014

Miller et al,

The current code suggests that this should happen (binbuf_eval calls the
appropriate function), but since canvas_setcurrent is never called, it
fails and returns 0.

Yet, I wonder why message shouldn't be able to pre-parse $0 into a valid
dollarzero (canvas instance), when there will never be a message one
could send into it that could trump this argument (how would one specify
an argument $0 anyhow)? I do understand that message is not meant to
pre-parse values, but shouldn't this be an exception? That way one
creating a message with an instance included does not have to go through
the trouble of creating an [$0] object that needs to be packed with the
rest of the list and then forwarded onward to a message object.

Thoughts?

If others are in favor of this idea, should this take place for all
types of messages passed into message object (bang, list, anything,
blob, etc.)?

--
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Associate Professor