[PD-dev] [PD] Should message objects be able to pre-parse $0 into valid dollarzero?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 10 20:21:10 CEST 2014

This leads to an interesting point - '$0' might recently have become more
important than it was before because of the multiple-libpd-instances features
in 0.46 - any libpd patch wanting to support multiple instances will need
some $0-ish disambiguation.

The recursion problem (that Ico asked about) is this... if a message box
has to set the "cuttent" canvas to itself, so that its messages can access
$0, and if its message leads to another message box in another canvas, that
second message box can't just bash the value of "current canvas" but rather
would have to save the previous one (and restore it when done) so that, when
control returns to the first message box, any further messages it wishes to
send get its own $0 and not the bashed one.

A deeper question bothers me: what about $1, etc, too?  What if we're in an
abstraction and want to 'speak' to $0 in our calling patch?  THe usual way of
doing that is for the calling patch to instantiate the abstraction with $0
as an argument.  Then the abstraction itself can access it as, say, $1.  But
that makes me think we need a way for the message box to be able to access $1
as well as $0.

It seems like this should either be something syntactic in messages themselves
(that could have deep repercussions as that is at the very heart of everything),
or else, perhaps, some kind of "properties" kludge, or perhaps (hopefully)
there's a better way I haven't thought of.

Related: it would be nice if message boxs sprouted inlets for $ args ala Max.
Even better if it could sprout multiple outlets so that one could send to
multiple destinations without the need to use names at all.  Even better if
it could do tests and loops...  oops, now we're writing a computer language.
Should there be a 'generalized' message box that doesn't use binbuf_eval
at all but rather gets a more spohisticated interpreter?

Yet another possible direction: the new "text" object could be given a way to
access the contents of message boxes, so that people could write their
own semantics any way they please.

Or externs could get some kind of pathway so that one could send message box
strings to lua, etc.

Hmm, time for another Pd convention :)