[PD-dev] [PD] Should message objects be able to pre-parse $0 into valid dollarzero?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 10 21:55:45 CEST 2014

> i have heard rumours about an abomination named "stack".

THe very thought sends shivers down my spine.

[snip]

> > Should there be a 'generalized' message box that doesn't use binbuf_eval
> > at all but rather gets a more spohisticated interpreter?
>
> FTM msgbox?

Hmm, thanks for pointing me to that.  It doesn't do everything we're hoping
for here but goes some way.

Here's a (mad) thought.  What if messages boxes could send messages to
"1", "2", etc., which would sprout outlets?  Something like this:

;
1 2 3;
2 3 4

would send the message "2 3" to the first outlet and then "3 4" to the
second one.

I don't see a good way to implement this yet.  But it might take care of the
majority of situations in which people now have to do $0 tricks, and if so,
it might be worth some ugliness in the implementation.

cheers