[PD-dev] [PD] Should message objects be able to pre-parse $0 into valid dollarzero?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 18:44:28 CEST 2014

I don't think Pd should attempt to read the users' minds and insert linebreaks after every comma.  E.g., in [pitch 40 amp 0.2, pitch 30 amp 0.1( the user might reasonably want a single linebreak in an obvious place.

I also think setting custom message width is the wrong tool for the job.  And it will fail if a large atom creates enough space for other strings to sneak up to the previous line:
[a 1, b 2,
a 3, b 99999,
a 5, b 6(

Phil-- would such a feature solve _all_ cases you can think of?  I know it's less than ideal, but it's probably easier to implement than $0 in msg box.

If you have cases that don't involve initializing to multiple receive-symbols, could you post an example patch?

-Jonathan

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:53 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

On 09/10/2014 06:45 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-dev wrote:

> 2) On a more superficial note, isn't the problem that Pd doesn't store stray "\n" characters in message boxes?  The only time I can think of when one would have a real desire for $0 in a message box is when initializing a bunch of receivers:
>
> [; $0-foo 1;
> $0-bar 2;
> $0-flub 3;(
>
> But if the box stored "\n" you could get the same clean format with commas:
> [foo 1,
> bar 2,
> flub 3(
> |
> [zerofy-me] <- add a "$0-" to the selector

> [send]

hmm, i totally fail to see how this does not work currently.

ah, is your (only) concert, that the selectors do not line up nicely?
it would probably make sense for the msgbox to auto-linebreak between
msgboxes anyhow.

or you play a bit with the box-width.

but then, i totally agree that whitespaces should be preserved in patches.

gfmdsar
IOhannes