[PD-dev] [pure-data:bugs] #1155 pduino doesn't work unless pd-extended run with sudo

Matteo Sisti Sette sistisette at users.sf.net
Mon Sep 15 21:20:38 CEST 2014

---

** [bugs:#1155] pduino doesn't work unless pd-extended run with sudo**

**Status:** open
**Group:** v0.43
**Created:** Mon Sep 15, 2014 07:20 PM UTC by Matteo Sisti Sette
**Last Updated:** Mon Sep 15, 2014 07:20 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

0.43-4 extended Ubuntu 14.04

Run Pd Extended and create a [pduino/arduino]

Send it the "devices" message.

Expected: should list available devices
Observed: says "[comport]: available serial ports:"
and systematically an empty list.

Now send it the "open 32" message, where 32 is a valid port where's there is a working arduino connected with the StandardFirmata firmware running.

Expected: should connect.
Observed: issues an error like "could not open serial port: access denied" (didn't copy it, just by memory).

Now run Pd Extended with sudo: => everything works as expected.

Root privileges shouldn't be needed for using an arduino. There almost surely is a way to avoid this, and if there is not, then it should ask you to enter your sudo password through a GUI like all other program do when they need sudo privileges.

Also, I had used pd extended and pduino ages ago on Ubuntu and I hadn't experienced this problem, so it is almost certainly a regression.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because pd-dev at lists.iem.at is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/bugs/