[PD-dev] [pure-data:bugs] #1160 Errors sould ALWAYS be trackable

Matteo Sisti Sette sistisette at users.sf.net
Sun Oct 5 14:01:16 CEST 2014

---

** [bugs:#1160] Errors sould ALWAYS be trackable**

**Status:** open
**Group:** v0.43
**Created:** Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:01 PM UTC by Matteo Sisti Sette
**Last Updated:** Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:01 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

0.43-4 Extended

Sorry I can't provide the patch to reproduce this. The patch is too big and it's not mine, and I can't isolate the part that reproduces the bug... because of the bug itself.

The issue is that I'm getting somewhere this error:

  value: no method for 'list'

AND when I do Find -> Find last error it says:
  ... sorry, I couldn't find the source of that error.

An untrackable error is always a bug. Source of an error MUST always be trackable. Assuming that the patch is actually sending a list message to an object that is not capable of handling a list (i.e. there is an error in the patch), the fact that it is not tracked is a bug.

ALL places in Pd's code where error messages are generated without properly tracking them so that they can be found in Find -> Find Last error, should be fixed.
This is a PLAGUE in Pd.

Furthermore, in this case, the error message is also nonsensical on its own.
It is supposed to mean that there is a "value" object that is receiving a list in an inlet that can't handle a list (by the way, it is a one-float-item list that is being sent, so it's actually a float). Now, [value] has only an inlet, and it _can_ handle lists and floats, so the message doesn't make sense. Clearly, it is not being issued by a [value] object, but then why does it say "value:" ?

And by the way, it's about time to implement the possibility to find all errors, not only the last one.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because pd-dev at lists.iem.at is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/bugs/