[PD-dev] tk 8.5 on Mac OSX & retina screens

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:54:45 CET 2014

hey i just noticed in osx Activity Monitor when running
Millers Pd-0.46-2-64bit that pd-core runs at 64bit and (im assuming) pd-gui
runs at 32bit. I am imaging this is because Millers is Tk 8.4 (32bit) while
your retina disto is Tk 8.5 (64bit) meaning millers 64bit build only runs
half in 64bit but yours runs in full 64....

i don't even know if that makes much of a difference to most but I thought
i would point that out. i noticed this when i tried to load the tkdnd
package (64bit) from a gui plugin and got a wrong architecture warning....
meaning is if a plugin depends on a tk package that package would need to
be built 32bit or universal to be used with millers 64bit mac builds....

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to get 0.46-0 working with retina resolution on OSX. It's
> pretty easy.
>
> * replace Contents/MacOS/Pd with Tk 8.5 Wish.app binary:
>  /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish
>
> * add the following
> <http://superuser.com/questions/620824/is-it-possible-to-have-git-gui-gitk-look-good-on-a-retina-macbook-pro>
> to Contents/Info.plist:
>
> <key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
> <true/>
>
> * change package require Tcl version to 8.5 in
> Contents/Resources/tcl/pd-gui.tcl
>
> Looking at the app bundle build script, it would only involve updating the
> wish-shell.tgz with the new Wish.app and renaming all instances of  "Wish
> Shell" to "Wish" as I found "Wish Shell.app" is now a static link to
> "Wish.app".
>
> The only problem I noticed is that the font at size 10 or less is so thin
> that it becomes illegible. I think simply bolding it on retina screens
> would work.
>
> I wasn't able to find a way in tk to get the screen dpi, so maybe using
> the max screen size would work:
>
> wm maxsize
>
> If the width and height are greater than, say 2000 & 1500 then bold the
> small fonts? It's kind of dumb but might work.
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika
> danomatika.com