[PD-dev] Can somebody help to create a desktop / VST / AU version of a PD / libPD / app ?

Jamie Bullock jamie at jamiebullock.com
Tue Apr 21 13:47:13 CEST 2015

On 21 April 2015 at 12:38:23, Jamie Bullock (jamie at jamiebullock.com) wrote:
Hi Oliver,

Are you asking if it’s possible to make plugins around libPd, or whether there is a generic way to port Objective-C UI’s to other platforms…?

Re: libPd, my understanding is that it is not possible to host multiple instances of libPd within the same process due to libPd’s extensive use of global state. I noticed that someone has been working on an alternative to libPd called Pd++, which claims to solve this problem, but I can’t vouch for how stable / full-featured it is as I haven’t used it: https://bitbucket.org/resler/pd-audio-unit-plug-in/
Looking a bit closer I should clarify that Pd++ is a Pd emulation *in* C++, i.e. the Pd language is replaced with C++. You can’t load Pd patches in Pd++ or convert Pd patches to Pd++’s C++ syntax. Also, as far as I can tell the DSP implementation is incomplete. Still it might be an interesting project to follow.

Jamie