[PD-dev] External development: PD crash using pd_symbol without associated receiver in patch

Alexandre Clément alexandre.r.clement at gmail.com
Mon May 11 20:58:19 CEST 2015

Hello all
First ever mail to this list, so bear with me if I trample on any
netiquette rules.

So, in short, I'm working on a simple external, taking a float and
converting it to int, then to hex (no biggie) before sending it out via a
"send" cordless message.

I'm using:

pd_symbol(gensym("code")->s_thing, gensym("content"));

Everything works fine and dandy IF i have a receive object in the patch
waiting for that "code" target.
If, however, I remove it or have no receiver at all, PD hangs and crashes.

Since this is supposed to be a part of a libPD embedded mobile app, its my
only means of communicating to the wrapper-app...
FYI: developing in C, on windows 7 with Eclipse Luna.
These crashes are happening in "regular" desktop PD, so not a libPD issue.
Tried using GDB by attaching it to PD, but can't really get any useful info
from the debug messages shown in the debug perspective in Eclipse.

Any insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Alex