[PD-dev] Compiling externals for Windows

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 21 13:00:38 CEST 2015

Hi Roman,

> Hey all
>
> The new deken plugin makes me want to compile externals for Windows.
> There seem to be many ways to go and I might save some time if I knew
> beforehand what works and what no so well. I have access to the
> following archs:
>
> * Debian 7 (i386, amd64, armv6l)
> * Debian 8 (i383, amd64)
> * Ubuntu 14.04 (i386, amd64)
> * Windows XP (w32)
>
> What are people using? Are you compiling directly on Windows or are you
> cross-compiling from Linux? Are you going with the tool chain from your
> Distro or are you downloading the highest and latest manually?

Everything I compiled is done native. Only for MacOSX, the build creates
three executables into one fat binary. The code is straight from
https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data. Having a native platform, you can
do some testing too.

Most external libraries have no external dependencies, and are easy to
build everywhere. Even with dependencies, building isn't that
complicated, even on the ancient MacOSX 10.5, where Fink & co. isn't
very usable.

The build system I use is a replacement for the Library Template
makefile that will be announced soon. During beta testing it could build
about 60 of the current pd-external libraries without much effort and no
code changes.

> On a related note: How feasible is it to cross-compile for Mac OS X?

I choose the simple solution, by using an old Mac. The appropriate Xcode
contains a gcc tuned for MacOSX and builds the three architectures out
of the box.

> Roman

Greetings,

Fred Jan