[PD-dev] Compiling externals for Windows

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 22 09:16:33 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-21 12:13, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Hey all
>
> The new deken plugin makes me want to compile externals for Windows.
> There seem to be many ways to go and I might save some time if I knew
> beforehand what works and what no so well. I have access to the
> following archs:
>
> * Debian 7 (i386, amd64, armv6l)
> * Debian 8 (i383, amd64)
> * Ubuntu 14.04 (i386, amd64)
> * Windows XP (w32)
>
> What are people using? Are you compiling directly on Windows or are you
> cross-compiling from Linux? Are you going with the tool chain from your
> Distro or are you downloading the highest and latest manually?

for W32 i mainly cross-compile using mingw64 (http://mingw-64.org), then
test under a virtual machine.

mingw on w32 never really worked for me.
iirc i have had some bad experiences with cross compiling linux->w32
using mingw (http://mingw-64.org).

but mingw64 is just great and allows me to virtually compile everything
i want (apart from some Gem plugins that use a C++-library that i only
have available (if at all) as a visual-c++ pre-compiled binary (and
there's some ABI incompatibility between g++ and MSVC++)

my build system is Debian testing/unstable amd64, which comes with mingw64.
while experimenting with tavis-ci for cross-builds¹, i noticed that the
version of mingw64 that is available on travis-ci (which runs
Ubuntu-12.04LTS) is too old, as it doesn't come with proper pthreads
support.

as for dependencies, i often ended up just fetching the source-code and
building the dependencies in a pre-build step (part of the automatisation).
this mainly works because the libraries i use most often are
linux-centric (so they come with proper autotools support; and are
available for download of course...)

fmgasd
IOhannes

¹ e.g. for https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iem, which is being a bit
obsoleted by deken and friends (otoh this project was mainly about
compiling the libs, rather than making them available).