[PD-dev] Compiling externals for Windows

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:54:31 CEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 17:16 +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:

> How hard would it be for you to try this with the latest version of Pd
> from git on Windows?

On a scale from 0 to 10? What is the pain of giving birth to a child on
a scale from 0 to 10?

> Miller merged a fix from IOhannes a while ago to do
> with Windows default search paths which might help this issue.

After several dead-ends (autotools: is that supposed to work also on
Windows?), I managed to compile Pd on Windows XP (what an adventure..).
For the record:

* mv pure-data pd
* get / extract ASIO SDK to pd/asio
* mkdir pd/bin
* cd src; mingw32-make -f makefile.mingw

But it seems, I still cannot run Pd-vanilla on my Windows XP
installations (VirtualBox and Hardware). Probably are both originating
from the same medium.

Because IOhannes provided a fix, I then was also able to successfully
cross-compile on Linux _with autotools_:

./configure --host i686-w64-mingw32 --prefix /opt/pd_win32/

So I used this build to test in wine, but I wasn't successful. When
downloading freeverb with deken, Pd freezes just when the download has
finished. wine then prints this to console:

潣汵湤琧攠數畣整∠湵楺≰›潮猠捵⁨楦敬漠⁲楤敲瑣牯൹^Cfixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 31 on event 0

(I hope it isn't saying anything indecent I don't understand)

I'll have to test tomorrow, when I have access to a Windows 7 box.

Roman