[PD-dev] Compiling externals for Windows

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Thu Jun 25 17:11:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

Roman Haefeli schrieb am 21.06.2015 12:13:

> Hey all
>
> The new deken plugin makes me want to compile externals for Windows.
> There seem to be many ways to go and I might save some time if I knew
> beforehand what works and what no so well. I have access to the
> following archs:
>
> * Debian 7 (i386, amd64, armv6l)
> * Debian 8 (i383, amd64)
> * Ubuntu 14.04 (i386, amd64)
> * Windows XP (w32)
>
> What are people using? Are you compiling directly on Windows or are you
> cross-compiling from Linux? Are you going with the tool chain from your
> Distro or are you downloading the highest and latest manually?

Sorry to be late to join the party, but here is my approach to cross compilation for Windows on Linux:

I am using the Makefile template from Pd extended for PuREST JSON and mxe (Formerly known as MinGW Cross Environment: http://mxe.cc/). In fact, for me this is simpler than compiling on Windows, so I cross-compile and just transfer the dll to Windows for testing.

My changes to the Makefile are adding path variables to enable cross compilation:
https://github.com/residuum/PuRestJson/commit/7a34c7fd3fe5a83b9ca53ac3fe2cc8c705c274ba

For compilation, I set these variables as well as the UNAME variable, see:
https://github.com/residuum/PuRestJson/wiki/Compilation#cross-compilation-for-windows-on-unix-like-systems-linux--bsd--mac-os-x-with-mxe

> On a related note: How feasible is it to cross-compile for Mac OS X?

I have not had the time to test that already, as I do not have a Mac handy for testing. As someone already mentioned, https://github.com/tpoechtrager/osxcross looks like a viable solution.

Hth,
Thomas