[PD-dev] maintenance of builds for deken

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Jul 7 05:20:00 CEST 2015

On 06/07/15 19:20, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> I compiled some externals for several platforms to be used with Deken.

\o/

> Also, there is the old rule, that devs only commit to their own folder
> in svn. Now, some parts haven't been touched for years and it seems
> cumbersome for everyone involved to make requests to the original author
> to apply certain changes.  Should I commit my changes (build system
> stuff) directly to svn (i.e. by ignoring that rule)? Or would it be
> better, we move the maintained stuff out of svn and host them as git
> repository under the pure-data umbrella on github.com? Or am I better of
> with just doing my stuff privately (as I did for now)?

A centralized SVN repository with all externals in it seems like it has
been a point of friction in the Pd development ecosystem.

You could set up your stuff in Github repositories, and if somebody
wants to continue to use SVN and also wants your fixes then they can
figure out how to merge them back. I would make contact with people who
are doing packaging of the externals for distributions and tell them
that you have versions of those externals with newer modifications and
they can decide whether to continue to use the SVN version or your newer
versions with changes.

Hm, maybe this is too aggressive a strategy, I don't know.

In any case, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with
forking code and putting it in a Github repository and making
improvements. That's basically the whole point of FLOSS. Then if people
want to use your new versions, great.

> I don't want anyone to think I plan to take over "their stuff". I
> happily continue if no one minds, but if the authors of the listed
> libraries prefer to maintain builds themselves, please just say so.

The sound of crickets and tumbleweeds blowing by is the universe's way
of telling you to do whatever the heck you want. :D

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/