[PD-dev] Pd-dev Digest, Vol 124, Issue 2

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 04:46:52 CEST 2015

On 07/07/2015 10:15 AM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> This is exactly what we were *nudging* for. It's not a movement
> against, just a growing process. The SVN has served it's purpose but
> now a more decentralized approach works since the tools and dev
> approach have changed.

I tried to respond to this, but I think the message didn't get through.

I now have a working instance of Gitlab up and running at the Oregon
State Univ. Open Source Labs.
I've been using it for a repo of the GUI port I'm working on.

If you don't know about OSUOSL, Google them.  They host and assist a ton
of big FLOSS projects.  Because of them, we don't have to make a choice
between the convenience of services like Sourceforge which we shouldn't
be trusting (nor endorsing) and becoming full-time Unix administrators.

Just to give an example of their team-- I asked them about setting up an
SSL cert for the subdomain they gave me.  Before asking me some
questions about how I intended to use the cert, they went ahead and set
the whole process in motion.  That way if it turned out to be a
reasonable request-- and it was-- the cert would be ready to go by the
end of the discussion.  In other words, they did predictive branch
support, which is impressive :)

My idea is that once the EFF's "Encrypt Everywhere" project is released,
we'll be able to get a free subdomain cert for something like
git.puredata.info or gitlab.puredata.info.  Then we can just have that
point at the Gitlab instance hosted by OSUOSL, and people can easily
host their libs there instead of Sourceforge or Github. (Or migrate them
or whatever.)

I'd like to make sure I've got sensible settings in Gitlab before I
publish the URL.  But if anyone wants to do that work for me, PM me and
I'll send you the link.

-Jonathan