[PD-dev] moving to git?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 15:54:22 CEST 2015

On 07/31/2015 04:23 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 07/31/2015 10:12 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-dev wrote:
>> On 07/31/2015 03:15 PM, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>>> How about: authors / maintainers can host their externals wherever
>>> they like, but we maintain a “meta” repository on GitHub that includes
>>> all the various external [sic] repositories as git submodules…?
>>>
>> And why do you prefer Github to Sourceforge?
>
> s/GitHub/git.puredata.info/
>
> i don't think that jamie's point was to propose GitHub, but rather a
> central point that would reference the various repositories.

I'm not getting the point of all this.  If you require a central point
to reference the random collection of repos for the purpose of
discoverability and sanity (and you _do_ require a central point
for both), why go to the trouble of decentralizing the central
repo?

In the original scheme I would just keep bothering you or Hans
to give commit access to someone wanting to adopt an external
lib.  In the new scheme will I just keep bothering you until you add
a reference to the centralized list?

-Jonathan