[PD-dev] [pure-data:patches] #559 Improving PD for multi-instances and multithreading

Pierre pierreguillot at users.sf.net
Thu Sep 10 12:35:06 CEST 2015

---

** [patches:#559] Improving PD for multi-instances and multithreading**

**Status:** open
**Group:** feature
**Created:** Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:35 AM UTC by Pierre
**Last Updated:** Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:35 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody
**Attachments:**

- [patch.diff](https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/patches/559/attachment/patch.diff) (6.0 kB; application/octet-stream)

2  things that could really improve the development of applications with Pure Data :

1 - "t_pdinstance*" in the prototypes of the functions "sched_tick()" and  "dsp_tick()". This way, we don't need to call "pd_setinstance" at each dsp tick so it is thread safe.
(we could have something like "pdinstance_sched_tick(t_pdinstance* x)" and "pdinstance_dsp_tick(t_pdinstance* x)" to ensure the good working of previous applications)

2 -  "t_pdinstance*" in the structure of the clock. All the clock_new functions seem to be called in the "creation" methods of the objects. If when we load a patch and we create objects, "pd_this" is well defined, we can initialize the reference "t_pdinstance*" of the clock with "pd_this" and later when we'll call "clock_set" (for example) the clock will use its reference instead of "pd_this". In this case, imagine that we send a  bang to a [delay] in one instance during the loading of a pacth in another instance, even if "pd_this" is not the good one, the clock will be added to the clocks list of its instance.

My first mail :
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2015-09/020339.html

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because pd-dev at lists.iem.at is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/patches/