[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 24 17:16:25 CEST 2015

The whole thing's a horrible mess, and with each tweaky patch it gets worse.
The only thing for it is going to be for me to stop doing anything else for
a month or so and think the whole thing through.

In addition to the problems already mentioned:
abstractions with 'declares' pollute their calling patches
search is by ending first, then by directory
"loaders" aren't treated in the same way as abtractions

here are a couple more (perhaps more minor) ones:
Searching a fixed directory like "~/pd-externals" is a rotten idea - I
don't know why I ever accepted it as an idea. And now the "deken" engine
puts patches there!
"." in a path means "the current directory" when it should have meant "the
directory this patch right here is in".

I don't think there's a ghost of a chance of making this all be sane and
staying back compatible - the only thing I can think to do is make a whole
new parallel structure and have a "compatibility" flag that throws you back
to the old regime.

Anyway, I'm off to the ICMC and will have to think abotu other things for yet
another week...

cheers
Miller