[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 24 17:29:49 CEST 2015

On 09/24/2015 05:16 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I don't think there's a ghost of a chance of making this all be sane and
> staying back compatible - the only thing I can think to do is make a whole
> new parallel structure and have a "compatibility" flag that throws you back
> to the old regime.

nah, please don't!

i'm pretty sure that for most cases one can achieve backward
compatibility by clever re-arrangement of cmdline "-path"s.

up until now, playing with paths (and loaders) was near-magic - if not
plain black magic.
i don't think that many things will break by changing it (in a way that
people won't say: "ah, i finally understand how this is supposed to work")

supporting *both* behaviours will only lead to unmaintainable code;
and either create a lot of code duplication, or lead to a
re-implementation of the original code (adding new bugs; do we want to
have a compat flag for that as well?)

gfmads
IOhannes