[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Sep 25 01:45:28 CEST 2015

On 24/09/15 23:16, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Searching a fixed directory like "~/pd-externals" is a rotten idea - I
> don't know why I ever accepted it as an idea. And now the "deken" engine
> puts patches there!

Apart from polluting the user's home directory with a weird looking
folder, why do you think it's a rotten idea?

Whatever you guys figure out I hope there is still some easy way for Pd
users to add libraries in a standard way without having to have root and
without each user having to specify it in a config manually.

Requiring the user to add each abstraction/external to their config is
onerous for systems like deken and for distribution of abstractions in
general.

I don't have a problem with a "fixed directory" (and I think good
defaults in general are better than making a user specify or configure
everything from scratch) but I always thought the path should be
~/.config/pd-externals or ~/.local/pd-externals - something out of the
way rather than clogging up the user's home directory.

I'm sure we'll update deken to support whatever the new method of
externals resolution becomes.

Cheers,

Chris.

--