[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 26 14:25:16 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 06:44:54PM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On 25/09/15 23:04, Miller Puckette wrote:
> >I think the best "default" default would be to put things in ~/pd/extra,
> >assuming there's no problem writing to that (and, I suppose, assuming it
> >isn't shared among multiple users of the same machine).
>
> I guess it's customary to put per-user application specific configurations
> and other data in a hidden folder, so e.g. ~/.pd or ~/.pd-externals or
> ~/.local/share/pd/ etc.
>
> To my mind ~/pd/extra is not that different to ~/pd-externals in that it
> still forces the user to have a non-hidden folder in their home directory.
> Whenever applications do this I find it mildly annoying.

I thing for "settings" a hidden file is appropriate (e.g., ".pdsettings") but
for libraries you want them visible - but precisely where would depend how you
organize your files so should be settable.

My reason for suggesting putting them in "pd/extra" is that you already put
"pd" somewhere (and presumably chose where to put it) and
if you relocate pd later the extra files will follow.  Also, you can then
have different versions of Pd with different libraries loaded.

cheers