[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 22:18:33 CEST 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> so i still believe that it is a good idea to have a place where the user
> can install libraries to without any special permissions, regardless
> where the Pd binary is installed.

It would also be a good idea if the non-power user could see, from within
Pd, a list of all the directories Pd will scan for externals and
abstractions. Then the user could choose which one to use. The Pd I have
here (Pd 0.46.6) has preferences->path which contains the single item
/usr/lib/pd/extra, which is not user-writeable. I can't find any reference
to the settings file. There is a 'save all settings' that may or may not
actually do something, but I'd need to be a power user to figure out which
file was changed.

As far as hidden directories they are (by design) hard to see...you have to
list your directories in a terminal with ls -al, usually not possible with
the double-click-on-an-icon approach which the non-power user tends to
adopt.

For example the Arduino IDE has a settings dialog that lets you change some
settings but also, in the same dialog, gives the path to the actual
settings file so you can change other settings with a text editor.

Martin