[PD-dev] loading classes: search by directory rather than extension

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Sep 28 03:09:08 CEST 2015

On 26/09/15 20:25, Miller Puckette wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 06:44:54PM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> To my mind ~/pd/extra is not that different to ~/pd-externals in that it
>> still forces the user to have a non-hidden folder in their home directory.
>> Whenever applications do this I find it mildly annoying.
>
> I thing for "settings" a hidden file is appropriate (e.g., ".pdsettings") but
> for libraries you want them visible - but precisely where would depend how you
> organize your files so should be settable.

Good point, and Linux doesn't have anything like OSX's ~/Library folder.

> My reason for suggesting putting them in "pd/extra" is that you already put
> "pd" somewhere (and presumably chose where to put it) and
> if you relocate pd later the extra files will follow.  Also, you can then
> have different versions of Pd with different libraries loaded.

Oh I see - you mean as a default just to use the "extra" folder relative
to wherever the Pd binary is.

 From the perspective of the deken plugin, as long as it can ask Pd
where the files are supposed to be stored and the location is write-able
by the current user then it can work. I agree with IOhanne's points
though, and I'd prefer ~/.pd/extra over ~/pd-externals and over nothing
at all.

I just want that the user is required to do/care as little as possible
about the details that aren't directly related to their making art, but
they are given a simple and powerful way to change things if they want
to. Also world peace.

Cheers,

Chris.

--