[PD-dev] deken and the default install paths (was Re: loading classes: search by directory rather than extension)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 1 10:47:19 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-25 17:04, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think the best "default" default would be to put things in ~/pd/extra,
> assuming there's no problem writing to that (and, I suppose, assuming it
> isn't shared among multiple users of the same machine).

i just checked the code and found that currently deken tries to create
the folder if it doesn't exist yet¹.

this means that it will (try to) create a ~/pd-deken/ folder (if it's
not already there) before it will try to use pd/extra (even if the
latter was writable).

so if people are averse to the idea of having a "pd-externals" directory
in their home, deken will give them one nevertheless :-(

we could fix that by first iterating over all existing search-paths and
test for writability, and only if this didn't yield any result try to
create a (missing) standard installation directory.

mgas
IOhannes

¹ what it really does is: iterate over all default search paths reported
by Pd (e.g. ~/pd-externals /usr/local/lib/pd-externals
/usr/lib/pd/extra), checks whether this folder exists and if it doesn't
tries to create it. it then tries to create a temporary file in the
path, and if it succeeds this folder is chosen as the download folder.
if it fails, it checks the next search path. if all fails, it fails.