[PD-dev] Pd-extended EOL?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 10 16:00:50 CET 2015

Roman Haefeli:
> Hey Hans
>
> Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.

Yes, good to hear from you too!

> On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 11:10 -0700, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>
>> I’d like to find a way to bring in the consistent font sizing in as
>> well as the help patches Jonathan updated. Maybe worth bringing up
>> again?
>
> Yeah, keeping all the work for consistent fonts is a major goal. The
> topic seems rather complicated.
>
> Maybe a few words on how this was achieved in Pd-extended would be
> helpful already?
>
> Roman

Its been too long for me to give much detail, I definitely wrote about this
multiple times, so check the archives.  This is not a great setup, but it is
necessary because pd sends drawing commands with pixel values to pd-gui.  But
I remember it was something like this:

* set [tk scaling 1] on all platforms
* measure the boxes a lot, on various platforms and versions
* fix when the pixel values are different

The real way to fix this is to make pd know as little as possible about the
GUI stuff, then things can be handled much better in pd-gui.  If you are going
to put work into this, the best approach is also a more incremental approach.
 This approach will also easily give Pd a scalable GUI.

* look for any sys_vgui() call in pd that sends raw Tcl
* convert this to a pd message one at a time
* push the logic to pd-gui as much as possible

For example, take src/g_vumeter.c.  The drawing should all happen in
Tcl/pd-gui.  Pd should just send the values to be drawn.  Same goes with
g_array.c.