[PD-dev] Windows installer for Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 10 16:08:02 CET 2015

Roman Haefeli:
> On Tue, 2015-11-10 at 12:27 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> in any case, i don't think that the two (an installer, and being able to
>> register file associations from within Pd) are exclusive.
>
> Sure. I also don't think that providing a zip _and_ an installer are
> exclusive. I agree with the advantages you mentioned about the zip under
> certain circumstances. In other cases an installer seems more feasible
> and my impression still is that there _is_ a part of the user base with
> a desire for an installer. I can help in making and maintaining an
> installer as easy as possible, that's what I can offer.
>
> Roman

This is an ancient debate here, and a key reason of why I made Pd-extended.  I
put the energy into working code rather than rehashing old debates.  The way
forward is to split out the libs from Pd-extended and use deken to make a new
maintainable, community version of Pd.  It only needs a name and a tiny bit of
organization.  The code is all there.