[PD-dev] Windows installer for Pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 11 09:07:36 CET 2015

On 2015-11-10 21:54, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> The not so nice part about NSIS is that you have to list every single
> file of your source packet explicitly and tell it where to install.
> Since it is inconvenient to touch that script whenever a new version is
> released, I added a bash script that creates the file list automatically
> for a given Pd-for-Windows folder.

looking at my NSIS installer for Gem [1], it seems that you can use
wildcards for adding files.
iirc, the main problem with this is, that for the *uninstaller* you need
to enumerate the files as well (again you can use wildcards, but then
you risk deleting unrelated files)

> Once you have Wine and NSIS installed, it's really only a matter of
> running the included bash script to create an updated Pd installer. I
> only tried it on Linux, but if you have bash on Windows, it should work
> there as well.

wine? shouldn't that only be needed to *test* the installer?

anyhow, just a quick warning: i do remember having problems with the
linux builds of NSIS: the resulting installers worked great but had the
side-effect of "somehow" wrecking the target system in subtle ways.
(IIRC after running the installer, people stopped being able to use M$
outlook and weird things like that; while i never found out the actual
cause of the problem, i was able to confirm that problems started when
using the installer built on my Debian system and that they did not
start when using the installer built on a W32 system (using the same
input)).

this was almost 10 years ago: things have hopefully improved since then,
but it might be worth doing thorough tests :-)

fgmasdr
IOhannes