[PD-dev] Windows installer for Pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 11 10:46:55 CET 2015

On 2015-11-11 10:41, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 09:07 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> On 2015-11-10 21:54, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>
>> wine? shouldn't that only be needed to *test* the installer?
>
> You're right. I could have built makensis (the compiler) on Linux. It
> seemed easier to me to download their pre-compiled Windows package.

# apt-get install nsis

>  If
> you're going to cross-compile Pd for Windows the Miller way, it's likely
> you have installed Wine anyway. That is the setup I had in mind.

ah, i see.

> Thanks for sharing those experiences! I haven't tried myself to create
> an installer with a Linux build of makensis and your experiences do not
> exactly sound encouraging. I tested the resulting installer under Wine,
> Windows XP (VirtualBox) and Windows 7 (VirtualBox). I didn't run into
> the problems you described, but of course I wasn't testing much other
> software after installing. This kind of issues is really hard to test
> for preemptively.

yes, of course: this was the main reason i ran into it.
back then, i did test the installer/uninstaller on a *real* windows host
(as opposed to a throw-away virtual machine), and didn't catch any
problems: mainly because i wouldn't even think of installing "Outlook"
on anything (nor actually *use* the w32 installation)

mfgasdr
IOhannes