[PD-dev] Pd include paths on Windows

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 00:56:34 CET 2015

On Sat, 2015-12-05 at 23:17 +0100, katja wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Makefile.pdlibbuilder I'm trying to define some standard Pd include
> paths. On Windows with MinGW this used to be (if I'm not mistaken):
>
> - $(PROGRAMFILES)/pd/src (vanilla Pd)

Before there was an installer, Pd for Windows was available as zip
archive and as such could be installed anywhere. It might make sense to
use that as an include path, but Pd cannot safely be assumed to be
installed there. Being able to install it without admin privileges (in
other words: not to the path above) was mentioned as an advantage of the
archive (some called it the 'portable' version).

> - $(PROGRAMFILES)/pd/include/pdextended (Pd-extended)

Yes, the installer proposes this path.

> Now I've installed Pd 0.46-7 with the experimental new installer from
> Miller's downloads, for which must be set:
>
> - $(PROGRAMFILES)/Pure Data/src
>
> Is this path experimental too?

I am to blame for this. I set that as the default in the installer
script and Miller obviously didn't change it. I had the user in mind
rather than the developer. I chose it because 'Pure Data' is the
canonical name of the software.

>  Will it stay like this?

I believe it is marked experimental exactly for the reason to be able to
address issues like this.

>  I would hope
> that at least the whitespace could be taken out of the 'Pure Data'
> component so you could define relative paths without spaces.

I might not clearly see what you mean (relative to what?), but are
whitespaces still an issue? $(PROGRAMFILES) resolves to a path with
spaces on the majority of the Windows systems in the world anyway (often
to 'C:\Program Files\').

Roman