[PD-dev] A Few Small UI Updates

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:00:40 CET 2015

Howdy all,

I’ve put a little time recently into some UI updates for vanilla which are currently in separate branches on Github. I created some reference PRs to make it easy to see whats going on:

* live dialog updates for OSX <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/5>

The entry widgets now unbind the enter key from closing the dialog when they receive focus and then rebind it after they lose it. This allows for editing and tabbing through all the entry boxes. Also, I enabled activation of the OK button when the dialog box will close on Enter to make this interchange much more obvious. Consequently, I removed the Cancel button form the focus list since it’s activated on the Escape key anyway (and OSX does keyboard button pressed via Spacebar anyway).

* overall iemgui dialog cleanup <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/4>

I mainly cleaned up inconsistencies, alignment, & a few bugs (vu scale/no_scale button not wide enough, preview & label name font size mismatch). Overall, clicking on things doesn’t result in the dialog changing size too much. I also try to more closely match dialog_gatom.

The new label & header texts are generated in the tcl using the $mainheader value. Hopefully there is some mechanism to handle these in tcl via gettext & the .po files, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

* osx retina display support <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/6>

Some small additions to enable crisp rendering on high dpi displays in OSX. Basically use Tk 8.5 and a newer Wish Shell.app (included) and add a key to the Info.plist.

The only hiccup so far is that the canvas font is now a bit too thin at the default size.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>