[PD-dev] building on OS X

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:23:29 CET 2015

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>
> On Dec 14, 2015, at 4:00 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> Subject: [PD-dev] building on OS X
> Date: December 14, 2015 at 1:53:10 AM MST
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
>
> * Do I need XCode? (and thus an Apple-ID?)

Yes, you need Xcode. It has the compiler & build chain you need. Open source projects generally compile just fine from the commandline. You do not need to use Xcode itself for building Pd.

You also don’t need to install Xcode form the App Store. If you have an Apple ID (or can borrow someone’s) you can download the current & beta versions of Xcode from the Apple Developer site <https://developer.apple.com/> and just install it yourself.

Use Homebrew. It’s great: http://brew.sh <http://brew.sh/>

> * Once things are set up, is it feasible to have completely CLI based
> workflow?

Yes.