[PD-dev] building on OS X

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 00:39:47 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 16:32 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> On 2015-12-15 16:09, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> > p.s.:
>> > I converted the few externals I care about to Katja's pd-lib-builder
>> > Makefile.
>>
>> please give back.
>
> I'm willing to.

[snip]

> I'm open to suggestions and discussions about road maps.

A general roadmap could be that anyone who is in the position (because
of interest and capability) to contribute to a build system for a Pd
lib forks that library like you have done. When a build system is
tested to work well on 'all' platforms, it could proposed to the
original library author. For orphaned libraries this may be fuzzy as
it leaves your fork with the most up to date code, raising unspoken
expectations that you will maintain the rest of the code too. On the
other hand, your efforts may give an impulse to others who want to
contribute, or maybe a seemingly orphaned library turns out to be not
orphaned after all.

Testing is much more work than writing a makefile, as all classes in a
lib must be verified to still work on 'all' platforms before a build
system can be safely replaced. Your makefile for iemnet has this
conditional variable definition:

    ifeq ($(uname), MINGW)
      ldlibs = -lwsock32
    endif

Did you test it on Windows? The conditional check happens before
Makefile.pdlibbuilder (which defines variable 'uname') is included.
Issue #7 on https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder/issues/7
discusses a method which is in a topic branch and waiting to be merged
into master. Your findings can be helpful here too.

Thanks,
Katja