[PD-dev] overview of upstream sources?

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 17 19:20:18 CET 2015

Hi All,

On 2015-12-17 10:21 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 14:34 +0100, katja wrote:
>> With the decentralization of Pd lib version control it is hard to
>> locate / identify upstream source repositories. Would it be feasible
>> and useful to generate (and regularly update) an overview of forks
>> based on http://git.puredata.info/cgit/, to be referenced from
>> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingPdSource?
>

> I believe it would be hard to maintain such an overview. Who has to
> maintain such a list? How can you control that people adhere to the
> standards?

There are probably two types of 'forks'; one which maintains a library
of objects as is and one which is more like a remix of objects from
different libraries, combined for some specific purpose.

For at least the former is would be nice to have a description of the
relation between the different forks.

> I would rather propose adding some mandatory meta information to deken
> uploads. A package that can be downloaded from puredata.info should at
> least contain the information which sources it was built from.

The puredata.info could host such a list in the public wiki.

It is not very convenient to download several packages just to find out
the most recent/bug free.

> Further, I think it is the duty of the maintainer of a fork to make
> clear what the origin of the fork is.
>
> If those two things are considered, we have transparency and identifying
> upstream should be feasible.
>
> Roman

Fred Jan