[PD-dev] Pd-extended EOL?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun Jan 10 11:59:15 CET 2016

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015, at 07:53 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-dev wrote:
> > * convert this to a pd message one at a time
> If anyone wants some advice on how to do this in practice, PM me.
> -Jonathan
>
>      On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:01 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>      <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
> Its been too long for me to give much detail, I definitely wrote about
> this
> multiple times, so check the archives.  This is not a great setup, but it
> is
> necessary because pd sends drawing commands with pixel values to pd-gui.
> But
> I remember it was something like this:
>
> * set [tk scaling 1] on all platforms
> * measure the boxes a lot, on various platforms and versions
> * fix when the pixel values are different
>
> The real way to fix this is to make pd know as little as possible about
> the
> GUI stuff, then things can be handled much better in pd-gui.  If you are
> going
> to put work into this, the best approach is also a more incremental
> approach.
>  This approach will also easily give Pd a scalable GUI.
>
> * look for any sys_vgui() call in pd that sends raw Tcl
> * convert this to a pd message one at a time
> * push the logic to pd-gui as much as possible

Hi Jonathan, and everyone else!

I would be interested in working on the gui stuff.
I was just trying to do some theming and tried applying the color scheme
part of pd-extended as a patch to vanilla. It kind of worked, but it was
just a first attempt. Anyway, I would very much like to do more of this,
so please give me some hints.

Scaling would be awesome.

/Kaj Ailomaa