[PD-dev] [declare -stdlib] does not work anymore

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:12:23 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 00:54 +0100, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 11:56 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> > On 01/12/2016 11:34 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> >> i will check this immediately.
> >
> > actually it turns out that loading anything via it's absolute path is
> > broken (and [declare -stdlib] uses this):
> >
> > e.g. [/usr/lib/pd/extra/zexy/zexy] fails now.
>
> which means that the culprit is really in the new loader code (unrelated
> to [declare]).
>
> anyhow, attached you find two patches that supposedly fix this problem.
>
> 0001: does special handling for absolute paths (which was stripped out
> in my loader rewrite - on purpose, but accidentally no replacement was
> provided), by trying to load them first (if applicable).
>
> 0002: fixes the extra/ stripping/appending when generating the absolute
> pathnames for stdlib/stdpath.

Thanks for the fix(es). [declare -stdlib] works again for me.

Unlike specified in the help, -lib now searches  both, relative to the
patch _and_ standard paths, while -stdlib only searches standard paths
and is in accordance to the documentation. Is that intended?

The immediate effect of [declare] is a great advancement. Thanks for
working on that!

[declare] used to add a line to the beginning of the patch file, like:

#X declare -stdlib zexy;

I assumed this was added so that on next load of the patch it takes
effect before the rest of the patch was loaded. Now that [declare] has
immediate effect, is that line still necessary? It seems it is (when
removing it, the loading doesn't happen anymore), but why? I'm asking
because when using [declare] in abstractions, those lines "pollute" the
parent patch. Even without a [declare] object in the patch, such lines
have an effect on loading, so you end up with a parent patch that
secretly loads stuff without the user noticing.

Roman