[PD-dev] abstractions polluting their parent patch

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:24:39 CET 2016

Hi all

I'd like to bring it up in a separate thread. I found two cases where
abstractions pollute their parent patch, if the parent patch is saved
after the abstractions have been instantiated. By polluting I mean some
lines are added to the patch file that actually do not belong to the
parent patch.

case 1)
Using a [declare -stdlib zexy] in an abstraction adds the following line
in the parent:

#X declare -stdlib zexy;

Next time the parent is loaded, it secretly loads zexy.

case 2)
When using data structures in abstractions, every [stuct] adds a line to
the parent patch:

#N struct 1342.seg.range float posy float bgclr;

I don't know what the effect of this is. Maybe it doesn't have any
effect at all, since there most likely is no template that matches the
struct.

While the effects of it are more (case 1) or less (case 2) severe, it
seems just not very elegant. Should/can it be fixed?

Roman