[PD-dev] [declare -stdlib] does not work anymore

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 18 19:39:56 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:06:10AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

[snip]

> so i *really* need to add a
> - [declare -stdlib zexy -lib zexy]
>
> to be sure to use the local copy of zexy and fall back to a system
> installed copy.
>

> i'm pretty sure i cannot see the obvious though.
> so if you have some use-cases (where it would make sense to not search
> stdpath; how to make use of that additional "control",...) i would be
> thankful...

well, my usage case is this:  I want to be able to distribute self-contained
patches and be as certain as possible they'll do the same thing on some
machine I've never seen as they do on mine here.  For example, I just
developed a patch for a premiere in Istanbul (Hi Pieter!) working from here
in San Diego.  This can be a _great_ way to work :)

So I want my patch to use only externs that I'm including with it in a "lib"
subdirectory.  If the extern can't be loaded, I'd rather have the patch fail
to load than pick up someone else's object with the same name.  So I really
want "-path" and "-lib" only to search locally, and never in "installed"
places.  I don't know where the performance machine has been, or even if it's
the same machine as was used in rehearsal.

So my preference would be to have "-lib x" search locally, and
"-stdlib [x] -lib [x]" effectively fall back to "installed" libs if my local
one isn't available.

OTOH is this indeed is a change from 0.46 behavior there's also compatibility
to consider...

cheers
Miller