[PD-dev] [declare -stdlib] does not work anymore

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:45:40 CET 2016

On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 10:39 -0800, Miller Puckette wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:06:10AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > so i *really* need to add a
> > - [declare -stdlib zexy -lib zexy]
> >
> > to be sure to use the local copy of zexy and fall back to a system
> > installed copy.
> >

> > i'm pretty sure i cannot see the obvious though.
> > so if you have some use-cases (where it would make sense to not search
> > stdpath; how to make use of that additional "control",...) i would be
> > thankful...
> >
> well, my usage case is this:  I want to be able to distribute self-contained
> patches and be as certain as possible they'll do the same thing on some
> machine I've never seen as they do on mine here.  For example, I just
> developed a patch for a premiere in Istanbul (Hi Pieter!) working from here
> in San Diego.  This can be a _great_ way to work :)
>
> So I want my patch to use only externs that I'm including with it in a "lib"
> subdirectory.  If the extern can't be loaded, I'd rather have the patch fail
> to load than pick up someone else's object with the same name.  So I really
> want "-path" and "-lib" only to search locally, and never in "installed"
> places.  I don't know where the performance machine has been, or even if it's
> the same machine as was used in rehearsal.
>
> So my preference would be to have "-lib x" search locally, and
> "-stdlib [x] -lib [x]" effectively fall back to "installed" libs if my local
> one isn't available.
>
> OTOH is this indeed is a change from 0.46 behavior there's also compatibility
> to consider...

IOhannes is correct in that "-lib" behavior hasn't changed (I just
tested with 0.45). Considering this, it's probably wise not to change it
now, although I feel more sympathy with the use case you described. I
don't see anything wrong with having to use [declare -stdlib zexy -lib
zexy] in case I want to cover both, relative to calling patch and all
standard paths.

Roman