[PD-dev] Displaying Pd GUI through the API?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 19:05:23 CET 2016

Hi Matti,I've been porting Pd-l2ork to a different GUI toolkit, and I now have the core
Pd functionality up and running with an abstract API to communicate with the
GUI.  In other words, all the tcl commands inside sys_gui and sys_vgui have
been replaced with a parameterized function call that sends strings, numbers,
floats, and arrays to the GUI.
Even so, Pd is still way too chatty with the GUI-- for example, creating a new
object doesn't just send a single message to the GUI.  It sends at least 13
messages in Pd Vanilla, more if your object has multiple inlets and outlets.
It's not impossible to wrap that, but it is certainly will slow down the process.
This is especially true given that Pd has no HIG or spec regarding GUI
behavior.  You're going to hit some counter-intuitive features of GOP, garrays,
font sizing, and a lot else in the midst of wrapping.
-Jonathan