[PD-dev] clang warning fixes, was: Memory leaks?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:36:29 CET 2016

clang is pretty strict by default and I generally try to fix any warnings it finds, as opposed to overriding them. If you think the requested changes aren’t needed, I’ll go that route. My thought was to lessen the angst for beginners compiling libpd & being put off by a wall of warnings (especially in ofxPd).

I realized I can fix the alloc warning by adding HAVE_ALLOCA_H to the libpd Makefile, so the stdlib.h include is unnecessary. Furthermore, Maybe this define would be unnecessary by using better compile-time system detection. For example, from d_fft_fftsg.c:

#ifdef HAVE_ALLOCA_H        /* ifdef nonsense to find include for alloca() */
# include <alloca.h>        /* linux, mac, mingw, cygwin */
#elif defined _MSC_VER
# include <malloc.h>        /* MSVC */
#else
# include <stddef.h>        /* BSDs for example */
#endif                      /* end alloca() ifdef nonsense */

Could be:

#ifdef _MSC_VER
	#include <malloc.h> /* MSVC */
#elif defined(__linux__) || defined(__APPLE__) || defined(_WIN32)
	#include <alloca.h> /* linux, mac, mingw, cygwin */
#else
	#include <stddef.h> /* BSDs for example */
#endif

I just tried and it compiles said file without the warning on OSX.