[PD-dev] quick demo of git author garbage

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu May 5 09:49:20 CEST 2016

On 05/05/16 14:08, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> By substituting the author string with obvious garbage-- like only
> allowing the
> word "dingus" to be shown there. :)
> I guess I'd be a bit happier if git required the committer to explicitly
> transfer authorship in this case (either with a flag or a separate
> command).
> "Foo typed 'Linus' here" is better than "someone typed 'Linus' and maybe
> Foo is validating that it was Linus, or maybe Foo did not notice, or maybe
> Foo does not care...".

Sure but how is git (or other tools) supposed to know this "explicit
ownership transfer" is even happening? How is it supposed to validate
the "correct" author? How is git supposed to know that "Foo typed
'Linus'" and not Linus or that Linus isn't correcting a commit
erroneously attributed to Foo?

Git authorship and committer fields are completely malleable by anybody
on their local machine and anybody with push access to a repo can push
[-f] whatever authorship changes they like.

You probably realise this and I'm missing some deeper point you are
making, but you can easily change those fields with environment
variables, command line flags, the git-filter-branch and git-rebase
commands, and even during a single commit trivially (as I think you are
demonstrating here).

If your aim is to bring greater awareness to the fact that git makes no
pretense at identity management or authentication then I'm 100% on board
and in agreement! \o/

If not, I'm sorry, I'm deeply confused! (Not that unusual a state of
affairs heh.)

Cheers,

Chris.

--