[PD-dev] problem with PA and Jack on OS X

Marco Matteo Markidis mm.markidis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:57:52 CEST 2016

Dear list,

Sunday I had a gig in Poland. After connect all cables, mixer and sound
card I started my Pd patch without problems. When I switched on the DSP Pd
frozen and I didn't understand really what happens. After a while, I
started the system monitor and I saw that in calling PA it stops with an
error. I tried to start also Pd with Jack and in this case Jack didn't
start properly giving me an visible error message.
So I rebooted and magically PA starts.

I'm sending you this email just to say that can be a good idea in this case
to report an error message very visible on Pd parent or something like
this, in order to understand that it is a PA error and probably an error to
access to sound card or something like this.

I'm sorry to cannot report a complete log message, but I remember that Pd
stops at pa_send_dacs function in s_audio_pa.c file. I hope you can
understand that in a real live situation with Wayne Horvitz waiting that
you finish your soundcheck it's not a proper occasion to get log message
file and stuff like this.

Best regards and sorry if this mail can be off topic.

Marco Matteo Markidis