[PD-dev] [PD] new_anything changed?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 12 20:08:53 CEST 2016

(moving this to pd-dev)

On 09/12/2016 07:57 PM, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> I don't know of any other way to accomplish the task.

afaik, the "new_anything" method is simply pd_objectmaker's fallback
method (for creating objectclasses it doesn't know yet).

since Pd>=0.47, abstractions are loaded like ordinary externals (that
is: once known, they are stored in the pd_objectmaker's methodtable.

in any case: just sending a message to pd_objectmaker (using
pd_typedmess()) should do the trick.

> Is there a
> recommended way to load abstractions internally?

what does "loading internally" mean for you?

in any case, i don't think there's anything "official".
for simply creating/instantiating/connecting abstractions within a
patch, you might check out my "patcherize" external from [punish].

for instantiating abstractions in a more convoluted way, use a
known-to-do-that object, like [clone] (incidentally [clone] uses
pd_typedemess() for instantiating abstractions)

gmasdr
IOhannes

[punish] https://git.iem.at/pd-gui/punish