[PD-dev] [PD] how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files page (was Re: Linux Global folder for externals)

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 3 10:30:50 CET 2017

On 03/03/2017 10:09 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>> it load the deken plug in, but it's not asking to download to the user
>> folder even if it is not there (let alone create it)
> what is it doing instead?
> it's really hard to analyse (let alone fix) a "it doesn't work"-problem,
> esp. if the author believes that it does work (so the problem seems to
> be on "your" side (e.g. on a platform that hasn't been tested yet).
> please be detailed in what you get.

for what it is worth:
i tested the "suggest per-user directory and create if neccessary"
feature on both linux and W32, and it does work nicely¹ and as expected².

gfmasdr
IOhannes

¹ the main issue with W32 is, that if I extracted the Pd-zip myself
(into %ProgramFiles%), i keep write-permissions on the embedded extra/
folder. thus deken will suggest to install into the application-specific
search path (since it is allowed to write there).
it correctly suggests %AppData%\Pd if I ungrant write-permissions to the
extra/ folder.
i haven't tested with the Pd-installer.

² it meets *my* expectations (and - according to an IRC chat - roman's
as well). probably your expectations are different.