[PD-dev] [PD-Dev] [Pure-Data:patches] #581 Better Use Of Jack_client_open

yarl yarl at hou-hou.org
Mon Mar 20 23:01:49 CET 2017

Hello,

I did post that patch, and I now see how much I have lacked courtesy
and clarity! Please excuse me, I needed some sleep at that time.

I've been using pd occasionally for few years.

So, I wanted to launch many puredata processes. Very soon (11
processes), jack told me he has no room left for clients. But jack was
configured to accept up to 64 clients. And I saw that every new pd
process contained 1 more thread. The n'th launched contains (n+4) while
the first only 4.

Indeed, because of the loop and JackUseExactName not used, if the
client name is already registered, jack will rename it himself(limited
to 100 clients with the same original name), as described in the API.
So you launch n pd processes, it's n*(n+1)/2 jack clients that are
created.

Maybe the patch is wrong, because it limits the number of pd processes
to 100, should I improve it to let pd decide on its own of the name
(using JackUseExactName, the patch is just one line!) or (probably
better) let jack rename, and if that doesn't work, retry modifying
requested name to see if that's because of the limit. Or should I stop
doing nonsense?!

I just subscribed to the list, I hope that message will end up where it
belongs. If not, sorry about that.

Bye and thank you