[PD-dev] Deken missing sources for 'iemguts/0.2.1'!

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 30 20:59:43 CEST 2017

On 06/30/2017 08:30 PM, alex wrote:

> On 06/30/2017 08:11 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>> On 06/30/2017 04:03 PM, alex wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just compiled iemguts from here[1] on a Raspberry Pi 3. I want to
>>> upload the compiled objects to deken, but typing:
>>> deken upload -v 0.2.1 iemguts/
>>>
>>> throws this error:
>>> Checking puredata.info for Source package for 'iemguts/0.2.1'
>>> Missing sources for 'iemguts/0.2.1'!
>>>
>>> Checking Pd's website I can find the sources, like here[2].
>> the thing is, that just because there are *some* sources of "iemguts"
>> uploaded on puredata.info with *a* version "0.2.1", doesn't mean that
>> these are the same sources as you were using to build the library.
>> (iirc, this is not just hypothetical; the main problem being that people
>> use a git/svn/vcs snapshot but use a version that just happens to be the
>> last official release (which might have been years ago).
> So which source do you suggest I should use? Should I better download
> one of the sources included in puredata.info and go with that?

no.
if you do that, then a potential user of your binary will still not know
where to get the sources.
so, most likely you should upload your own source package.

ideally, just bundle it with the binary package (or, if you upload
multiple binaries, you only need to bundle it with one of them).

>>> Should I go ahead and upload with --no-source-error? I guess the source
>>> files must be included due to GPL licensing, right?
>> yes.
> The "yes" goes to the fact that I have to include the source code, right?

ah yes, i was referring to the GPL.

>>> The source files are included in the src/ directory which is in the
>>> iemguts/ directory. The only thing I did was a "make", and then I
>>> removed the .o files from src/.
>> yes.
> I don't understand this "yes" since I didn't really ask something here.

well yes, but then i didn't fully understand what you wanted to say.

> Does it mean that I did what I was supposed to do to compile the library?
> Actually I was referring to the fact that Deken's README.md in the
> developer/ directory mentions that the "`deken package` tries to
> automatically detect whether a package contains Sources by looking for
> common source code files (*.c, *.cpp, ...).". Does it mean that it looks
> in subdirectories? I guess not, otherwise it would have found all the .c
> files.||||

yes, it seems like it only searches the first level directory (which
holds true for the external binaries as well).
please file a bug.

the quick workaround for your problem at hand is to rename the created
tarball by adding "(Sources)" to the arch-part of the filename before
uploading.

gfamrds
IOhannes