[PD-dev] Deken missing sources for 'iemguts/0.2.1'!

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 21:23:09 CEST 2017

On 06/30/2017 09:59 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 06/30/2017 08:30 PM, alex wrote:

>>> the thing is, that just because there are *some* sources of "iemguts"
>>> uploaded on puredata.info with *a* version "0.2.1", doesn't mean that
>>> these are the same sources as you were using to build the library.
>>> (iirc, this is not just hypothetical; the main problem being that people
>>> use a git/svn/vcs snapshot but use a version that just happens to be the
>>> last official release (which might have been years ago).
>> So which source do you suggest I should use? Should I better download
>> one of the sources included in puredata.info and go with that?
> no.
> if you do that, then a potential user of your binary will still not know
> where to get the sources.
> so, most likely you should upload your own source package.
>
> ideally, just bundle it with the binary package (or, if you upload
> multiple binaries, you only need to bundle it with one of them).
Well, "make" results in multiple binaries. How do I bundle the source
with any of them? This might be something obvious, but I'm ignorant of
it at the moment.
>> Does it mean that I did what I was supposed to do to compile the library?
>> Actually I was referring to the fact that Deken's README.md in the
>> developer/ directory mentions that the "`deken package` tries to
>> automatically detect whether a package contains Sources by looking for
>> common source code files (*.c, *.cpp, ...).". Does it mean that it looks
>> in subdirectories? I guess not, otherwise it would have found all the .c
>> files.||||
>>
> yes, it seems like it only searches the first level directory (which
> holds true for the external binaries as well).
> please file a bug.
>

> the quick workaround for your problem at hand is to rename the created
> tarball by adding "(Sources)" to the arch-part of the filename before
> uploading.
But deken zips the directory with the binaries and names it itself when
typing:
deken upload -v 0.2.1. iemguts/

How do I add "(Sources)" to the arch-part name of the zip file?
It's the first time I'm using deken to upload stuff, so there's a bunch
of things I'm unaware of.